[Updated] Besides converting MP4 to DVD Player compatible video formats for playback on DVD Player thru USB, you can also choose to burn MP4 files to a DVD disc for further playback on your DVD player. Read on to get the two methods to fix DVD Player not playing MP4 error.
MP4 is the most used format for web and mobile videos.And also MP4 is most supported by most devices like iPhone, iPad, Android, portable players, TVs and online websites. However, MP4/MPEG-4/H.264 MP4 is not coded in many DVD players and some of its successors like HD DVD players, Blu-ray disc players and 3D DVD players. Therefore you can't play MP4 files on DVD Player successfully. To view MP4 videos on DVD Player, you will need to convert MP4 to DVD Player supported format first or choose to burn MP4 to a DVD disc for playback ono your DVD Player. Here are the two different solutions for you.
Possible Reasons why we can't play MP4 videos on DVD player:
1. Majority of DVD players only accept MPEG-2 in a standard VOB format, and very few of them are compatible with MPEG-4 videos.
2. All standard DVD accept videos that conform to a certain resolution and BVOP settings. For instance, a majority of DVD players limit import to a resolution of 720 by 756 or 720 by 480. While, if you got some MP4 files with greater than this, your DVD players will not have the capacity to play it.
3. Newer models of DVD players can be able to play AVI files on one and only one condition, the AVI file has to be further encoded with another codec such as Xvid, Divx, WMV and MPEG-1 just to name a few. And MP4 wouldn't be supported.
Method 1: Converting MP4 to MPEG-2/VOB for Playback on DVD Player
As well know, DVD player can play VOB formats directly. Thus you can choose to convert MP4 to VOB or other DVD player supported format with the help of EaseFab Video Converter (Currently on big sale). This video converter allows you to convert videos from and to MP4, VOB, FLV, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, and 70 more formats. And it offers 30X faster conversion speed without any quality loss. You can just take a trial to directly convert MP4 to DVD player supported format for playing MP4 videos on your DVD players.
Download the MP4 to DVD Player Converter trial version:
3 Simple Steps to Convert MP4 to Play on DVD Player thru USB
Step 1. Add MP4 files to the program
Here you can directly drag & drop the MP4 files to the converter, or click "Add Video" button to load your video files.
Step 2. Select the output format
From the drop-down list of "Profile" you're recommended to select "MPEG-2" from "Common Video" category as the output format. You can also choose "DIVX" as the output format. When you have selected the output format, you should select a destination folder for the output file by clicking "Output Folder", you can also let it be the default one.
Tips: You can also click "Settings" to customize output video parameters such as video size, video bitrate, audio channels and so on depending on your needs. Here you're recommended to adjust the resolution from default "Original" to 720*480 or 720*756.
Step 3. Start MP4 to VOB conversion
After every step presented above has been performed, press the Convert button and wait until the MP4 to VOB process has been completed. Now you will be able to access your MP4 video in the output folder. Thus you can enjoy your favorite MP4 movies by simply playing them on your DVD player.
Method 2: Burning MP4 to a DVD for Playback on DVD Player
Besides converting MP4 to another format for playing on DVD player, you can burn MP4 to DVD and then insert the DVD disc to your DVD player for playback. Below are the steps:
1. Power on your computer and launch the CD/DVD burning software. You need to have the MP4 video on a disk for the CD/DVD player to read it.
2. Decide on if you want to burn CD/DVD. This may all depend on the size of the MP4 video file. If the MP4 video is larger than 700 megabytes you need to go with a DVD (700 megabytes is as much as a CD can hold).
3. Select either video CD/DVD on the menu of the burning software. Click and drag the MP4 video into the main viewing screen of the software, title the disk and click "Burn." The burning process will begin. Depending on the size of the video file, the burning process may take a few minutes.
4. Remove the CD/DVD from the computer once it has finished burning. Power the DVD player on and insert the disk into the drive. Turn on the TV and switch it to the video setting for the DVD player.
5.Wait for the MP4 video to load up on the television screen. Press the "Play" button on the DVD player to begin the playback.
Editor's Note: The MP4 format is readily acceptable on most video programs you use on your computer and it is even possible to play the video on a DVD player. The only requirement is that the MP4 be on either a video CD or DVD. If the MP4 is not on either a video CD or DVD, even if you have successfully burn MP4 to DVD without converting, you will still encounter issues in playing MP4 on DVD player: Regular standalone DVD players can only read movie DVD's (those are in MPEG-2, and if you view them in Windows Explorer, you see a folder structure with VIDEO_TS, and files like .VOB .IFO and .BUP). Newer DVD players that are DivX-certified can (in addition to the above) read data DVD's with an AVI file encoded in the DivX codec. Most of the time, you will fail to play MP4 on DVD player unless the DVD players have the "Nero Digital" label on them.