FLV is a video format defined by Adobe Systems. Many online sites, like YouTube, Hulu, take FLV as their default video formats. It is a popular video formats that can be viewed on most operating systems. However, if you take your FLV video to the PS4 or PS3, it can't be read by them. Luckily, this problem is easy to solve - all you have to do is convert the FLV videos to PS4/PS3 compatible format. Once you have, you can play them on your game console and use them like any other file PS4/PS3 supports.
To encode/re-encode FLV to PS4/PS3 quickly and easily, EaseFab Video Converter is highly recommended. With it, you can complete the conversion from FLV, MKV, MOV, VOB, WMV, etc. into the specific video formats that are playable on the PS3, PS4, iPad, iPhone, Android, Xbox, Samsung TV and many more. It can meet your need of converting FLV videos to PS3/PS4 with original quality. What's more, you can finish the task with only three simple clicks. Before converting, you can crop, trim, add watermark or subtitles to the video if you want. If you're using a Mac, simple turn to the Video Converter for Mac (OS X El Capitan included), which has the same function as the Windows version. Here is the detailed guide on how to convert FLV to a fully compatible format with PS3/PS4.
Guide to Convert FLV to PS4/PS3 Supported Format
Step 1. Add your FLV files to the software
There are two options for you to load your original FLV files for converting: Directly drag and drop your videos to the app; Or click "Add Video" button to load your media files. Batch conversion is supported so that you can add multiple video files to convert at a time.
Step 2. Choose the output format
Click "Profile" and find "Game Hardware" category. As you see, this program provides optimized presets for PS3 and PSP. So in this step, you can just choose the ready PS3 or PS3 HD preset for PS4 as the output format, which will remove all the incompatibility issue when playing FLV movies on PS4.
Tip: If the default video/parameters can't meet your needs, just click Settings icon to adjust the video codec, bitrate, frame rate, audio sample rate, etc to get a decent video as you want. In principle, the larger input values, the better output quality, but the corresponding larger file size.
Step 3. Start the FLV to PS4/PS3 conversion
You can click the Convert button at the right bottom of the Video Converter. After that, the rest will be finished automatically with the ultra fast conversion speed.
How to Play converted FLV files on PS4?
After all, the PlayStation 3 allowed you to not only play videos, but also store them locally on the hard drive. Unfortunately the latter is not possible with the PS4 (yet!), but you can use a USB stick to play your favourite videos, and here's how.
1. Your USB stick needs to be in FAT32 or exFAT (the latter didn't work for me, and NTFS definitely won't work). This means that 4GB+ files may be an issue so cut them down to size if need be.
2. Windows 7/8 don't make it easy to format your drives to FAT32, so you will have to download a third party piece of software here: FAT32Format
3. FAT32Format will allow you to format the drive very quickly to FAT32.
4. If this still doesn't work, you may have to go for a full format.
* Go to Start Menu -> Type CMD in Search Programs and Files, right-click to run as admin [Windows 7]
* Right-click Start button -> Select Command Prompt (Admin) [Windows 8/8.1]
* Type "format i: /FS:FAT32" without the quotes, where i is replaced with whatever the USB drive is, be sure to get the right drive.
* Press enter and it should start formatting, but it will take a few hours depending on the size of the drive.
5. Create a folder on the USB stick, and place all videos into this folder. It doesn't need to be called PS4, just needs to be a folder, else you won't see anything.
6. Audio needs to be in a folder called Music.
7. You can now go into the Media Player and select the USB stick from the list to watch your videos. Media Servers on your network will also be listed here i.e. Plex etc.