HEVC (H265) is the successor to H.264 and it's superior to H.264 in regards to video quality, size and compression rate. Namely, to achieve the same visual quality, H.265 encodes a more compressed video that is about half the size of H.264, at only half the bit rate. Furthermore, H.265 (HEVC) does even better than H.264, supporting video resolution up to 8K 4320p (H264 up to 2160p). What's better, H.265 will save much bandwidth when compressing and streaming 4K/8K videos online. Eventually, HEVC (or H.265) may replace H.264 completely, but that might take some time to truly take hold. Overall, HEVC is highly acclaimed esp. in the era of 4K 8K Ultra HD while H.264 still dominates now, which makes H.265 to H.264 conversion sensible.
There are many HEVC to H264 converters in the market. Here we single out the best 3 transcoders and illustrate how to transcode GoPro/YouTube/Apple H.265/HEVC video to H.264 without losing any quality. Also we'd like to share you with the advantages and advantages of H.265 over H.264.
Method 1. Convert HEVC/H.265 to H.264 with EaseFab Video Converter
There is a long list of free and paid conversion programs and tools available. Among them, EaseFab Video Converter is the top choice for H.265/HEVC to H.264 conversion. This powerful program can process footage in virtually any format, incl. hevc, h.264, mp4, mkv, avi, wmv, m2ts, avchd, in whatever resolution or codec. And it can easily convert HEVC/H.265 to H.264 with super-fast encoding speed and zero quality loss. Available for both Windows and Mac users, its features include but are not limited to:
● Convert all 8K/4K/1080p HEVC/H.265 videos to H.264, MP4, AVI, WMV, MPEG, MOV, FLV, ProRes, DNxHD, etc. The constantly updated conversion algorithm ensures smooth decoding and encoding, no video load error or software crash issue.
● Guarantee to output video with 100% quality reserved, wrinkles or freckles in image still clear enough to count.
● Support 420+ output device profiles incl. iPhone, iPad, Android, Xbox, PS4, Xbox, Apple TV, Chromecast and so on.
● Edit, trim, crop, merge, add subtitles and more before encoding H265 to H264. Flexible parameter settings are accessible.
● Finish conversion at fast speed, owing to the support for the world's advanced Intel, Nvidia CUDA/NVENC and AMD technology.
Pros: Intuitive interface, ultra user-friendly, totally clean and safe, stable and superfast.
[Tutorial] How to convert H.265/HEVC to H.264 in 3 steps without quality loss
To begin with, download, install and launch EaseFab Video Converter Windows or Mac version on your computer. The guide below takes the Windows version for an example. Mac version has the same process.
Step 1. You can simply drag and drop source H.265 videos into the main screen of the video converter or click "Add Video" button at the top left corner to browse and select target files.
Step 2. Click "Profile" bar and move muse cursor to "Common Video" category, then select MP4 (codec: h.264) as the output format. This program provides many other output video formats encoded H.264 codec, such as MOV, MKV, M4V, etc, you can feel free to choose according to your own needs.
Optional operations: Click Edit button to trim video clips, crop videos, adding external subtitles, etc.; Click Settings button next to Profile icon to adjust video/audio parameters to achieve desired output results before changing HEVC/H.265 to H.264.
Step 3. Click the small Folder icon to specify a destination folder to save the converted video file. Hit Convert button to start to convert HEVC/H.265 to H.264/AVC for free on Windows (10) or Mac with this high-class H.265/HEVC decoder at lightning speed.
Method 2. Convert H.265 to H.264 Free with Handbrake
Handbrake is a completely free piece of video conversion software. It's open source and available for download on Windows, MacOS, and Linux. Handbrake mainly focuses on ripping regular DVDs or converting videos to MP4 or MKV container in H.264/H.265 codec, and to some iPhone iPad preset profiles. People who have used this software figure out that it has complex interface and settings which are more suitable for experienced users.
Pros: Free and open source. Versatile advanced settings.
- Handbrake always outputs poor video quality.
- It takes quite a long time to load source video and convert video.
- It sometimes crashes in the middle before finishing the conversion process.
- Besides, Handbrake is not updated often and lacks technical support.
- The interface and settings of Handbrake are complex and it is not suitable for new beginners.
[Guide] How to convert H.265/HEVC to H.264 for free with Handbrake.
Step 1: Download Handbrake (latest version 1.3.3) from its official website. Install and open it.
Step 2: Click Open Source button to load folder with one or more H.265/HEVC video files, or choose a single H.265/HEVC video file.
Step 3: Next click Browse button to set a target folder to store the converted H.264 video.
Step 4: Choose MP4 or MKV as the output video container.
Step 5: Then hit Video tab to select H.264 (x264) video codec as the output and adjust other video settings like frame rate, bit rate, etc.
Step 6: Hit Start button on the top left to start converting H.265/HEVC to H.264 for free with Handbrake on Windows 10/8/7 or Mac.
Method 3. Transcode HEVC to H.264 with Online converter
The third option to convert HEVC to H.264 is to use an online converter like Convertio. Convertio.co is not only capable of converting HEVC files from local but also Dropbox, Google Drive and video link. While it has strict limits about the file size. Guest visitors are only allowed to upload a HEVC video maximumly 100MB, approximately 30 seconds for 4K HEVC @30fps shot by iPhone. If you want to convert large HEVC files, you have to upgrade your account from 3 options: $9.9/month (max size: 500MB), $14.99/month (max size: 1GB) and $25.99/month (no limits on file size).
It is not recommended to use free online video converters to decode H.265/HEVC to H.264 MP4. Most online video converters only support small video files conversion, e.g, lower than 100MB. Besides, The online conversion speed is always like snail speed and the process is not stable, together with poor output video quality and sometimes malware/virus saved along to computer.
▤ Why Do You Need to Convert H.265 to H.264?
The reason varies. Sometimes, your device's screen does not support 4K resolution, your hardware configurations fail to support the high-demanding HEVC decoding, the player won't play HEVC videos with 60fps, high bit rates, 4K and higher resolutions, or HEVC is not widely welcomed by most of your devices. Taking compatibility into account, H.265 is far less compatible than H.264 and MP4. For instance, GoPro 4K HEVC videos are not friendly to many editor apps, Adobe Premiere Pro won't import iPhone taken HEVC properly. Below are the pros and cons of HEVC and H.264.
Advantages of H.265 over H.264
1. H.265 is superior to H.264 in regards to video quality, size and compression rate. Namely, to achieve the same visual quality, H.265 encodes a more compressed video that is about half the size of H.264, at only half the bit rate.
2. Two key improved features of H.265 (HEVC) compared with H.264 (AVC) are the support for higher resolution videos like 4K/8K UHD resolution and improved parallel processing. H.265 will save much bandwidth when compressing and streaming 4K/8K videos online.
Disadvantages of H.265 compared with H.264
1. H.265 is not that compatible as H.264. For instance, GoPro 4K HEVC videos are not friendly to many editor apps. Namely, H.265/HEVC is not widely applied in many product fields so far, except a few devices and media players like iPhone 6/later, Windows 10, VLC, etc.
2. H.265 may be superior to H.264 in the next 5 or 10 years along with the popular application and streaming of 4K UHD resolution, but right now if your gadget's resolution is up to 720p/1080p, H.264 is more suitable.
Instead of costing hundreds of dollars on hardware upgrade to handle 4K HEVC 60FPS video, 10/12 bit HEVC, Mavic 2 Pro HEVC Dlog-ma video or IP camera GeoVision HEVC footages, an economical yet once-and-for-all solution is preferable to any other, solving H.265 playback problem using a HEVC encoder and decoder to convert H.265 to H.264 or adjust video parameters to reduce computational burden.
If you aim to convert large video files, like large 8K/4K/1080p H.265/HEVC videos that come from GoPro action camera, DJI, Drone, iPhone, surveillance camera, IP camera, YouTube, etc, a solid clean and easy-to-use H.265/HEVC encoder and decoder like EaseFab Video Converter, Handbrake may be more preferred.